What are the basic features of Cognos TM1?
• Real-time, interactive multidimensional database also with write-back functionality
• 64-bit, in memory OLAP server capable of concentrate huge volumes of data
• Enterprise level planning and analysis capabilities
• Guided modeling environment to facilitate planning, analysis and forecasting
• Rapid development of flexible models, including profitability models, without batch processing
• Integrates with IBM Cognos Business Intelligence, to establish a single view of performance
What is the main TM1 configuration file?
What are the dynamic parameters in TM1s.cfg?
The Cognos TM1 server continuously polls the Tm1s.cfg file at 60 second intervals to determine if any dynamic parameter values have changed. If the server detects a parameter value change, the new value is applied immediately. Dynamic parameters are identified with a statement describing them as “dynamic” in this list.
What are the static parameters in TM1s.cfg?
Static parameter values are read from the Tm1s.cfg file only when the IBM Cognos TM1 server starts. If you want to change a static parameter value, you must shut down the Cognos TM1 server, edit the value in the Tm1s.cfg file, and then restart the server. Most parameters in the Tm1s.cfg file are static.
Define Persistent Feeders?
PersistentFeeders is a configuration parameter, if set to true (T), TM1 will to store the calculated feeders to a .feeders file and in this way will improve load time of cubes with feeders (while starting of TM1 service ).
How do you use TM1 cubes in Framework Manager?
TM1 cube can be added to Cognos BI package and used later in Analysis & Report studios
How to run Turbo Integrator Process from Command Line?
To initiate the TI process TM1RunTI is a command line interface tool.
Name the sub-tabs which are in advance tab of TI
The sub-tabs which are in advance tab of TI are:
Define Prolog tab?
Procedure is executed before the data source for the TI is opened. TI directly goes to Epilog if the data source for the process is none and if there is no data source then Metadata and data tabs are ignored.
Series of statements that update or create cubes, dimensions and other metadata structures during the processing
Define Data Tab of TI process?
Series of statements that manipulates values for each record in data source.
What is Epilog Tab of TI process?
Series of statements that is to be executed after the data source is processed.
Define Bulk Load mode?
• It enables TM1 to run in a special optimized Single-user mode. This mode has a capacity to maximize the performance for dedicated tasks during the time when there is no load on server or at night time.
• It doesn’t display a message to end-user to alert them. No new connections can be created.
What actually happens when Bulk Load mode starts?
• All the scheduled chores will be deactivated
• All the processing by other threads will be paused
• Running chores and any of the existing user threads will be suspended
• TM1 Top connections and all the system-specific threads will be suspended
How you can enable Bulk Load Mode in TI?
• In Prolog or Epilog section of TI, Bulk Load mode can be enabled.
• It always recommended that Bulk Load Mode should be enabled in Prolog section.
What are the functions required to be called for enabling or disabling the bulk load of mode?
EnableBulkLoadMode() = Enable
DisableBulkLoadMode() = Disable.
What is the limit of string length in Turbo Integrator?
The limit of string length in Turbo Integrator is 8000 single byte character. If the length will become more 8000 bytes then it gets truncated.
Name the data sources which are available with TI
Data Sources available with TI are:
• SAP via RFC
• IBM Cognos Packages
• Microsoft Analysis Services
• Relational databases using ODBC Connectivity
• Comma delimited text files including ACII files
• Other Cubes and Views
What does DELET function do?
DELET(string, start, number)
DELET returns the result of deleting a specified number of characters from a specified starting point within a string.
How many users can open or connect to one of the TM1 web application concurrently?
Using the distributed approach of TM1 10 they have done testing in thousands of users.
What is Sparse Consolidation Algorithm
• This algorithm skips over cells that contain Zero or are empty. This algorithm speeds up consolidation calculation in cubes that are highly sparse.
• When consolidating data in cubes that have rules defined, TM1 turns off this sparse consolidation algorithms because one or more empty cells may be calculated by rules.
• Skipping rules-calculated cells will cause consolidated totals to be incorrect.
• When sparse consolidation algorithm is turned off, every cell is checked for value during consolidation.
It creates a placeholder on the cells so that the cells will not be skipped during the consolidation.
What is the way of writing a FEEDER Statement when feeding one cube from another?
• Calculation statement always resides in the target cube, but the FEEDER statement should reside in the source cube.
• The Feeder is basically the inverse of the calculation statement in the Target Cube that requires the feeder.
What are the steps to troubleshoot the FEEDERS?
• Use Rules Tracer will be used to assist in the development and debugging of rules.
• The functionality of Rule Tracer is available in Cube Viewer
How does Rules Tracer help us?
• It traces FEEDERS; it ensures that selected leaf cells are feeding rules-calculated cells properly or not.
• It checks FEEDERS, ensures that the children of selected consolidated cells are fed properly or not. Check Feeders options is available from consolidated cells and it’s not available from leaf node.
Define the logic behind the Sparsity in cubes?
A sparse cube is a cube in which number of populated cells as a percentage of total cells is too low. On average, the more dimensions a cube has, the greater the degree of sparsity.
Define Over Feeding?
Over Feeding means defining feeders for consolidated cells. (Feeding a consolidated cell automatically feeds all children of the consolidation.)
Define Under Feeding?
Under Feeding means failing to the feed cells that contain rules-derived values. This always results in incorrect values and must be avoided at all costs.
What is the role of SKIPCHECK in TM1?
SKIPCHECK forces TM1 to use the Sparse Consolidation algorithm in all the cases.
How to implement calculations in TM1?
Calculations can be defined as a cube rule or in TI process. In the first case the calculations will be dynamic (formula value changes when formula components’ values change), but it will consume more TM1 server resources. In the second case a TI process must be triggered (manually or using a scheduled job) to recalculate and store the data.
Rules in TM1 are written to do calculations within a cube and to load data into cubes. You should write rules in the cube into which you want to load data (target cube) or want to perform calculation.
What is a dynamic subset?
This is a subset that updates automatically based on cube values (filter-based dynamic subsets) or dimension structure (expression-based dynamic subsets).
Define dimension attributes? How they can be used?
TM1 Attributes are a way of adding relevant information to elements in dimensions. The elements identify data in a cube, and the element attributes describe the elements themselves.
You can use attributes to:
• List features of elements. For example, the square footage of a store and the engine size of a car model.
• Provide alternative names, or aliases. For example, descriptive names of general ledger accounts and the local language versions of product names.
• Control the display format for the numeric data. Typically, you select a display format for the measures you track in a cube.
• You can select elements by attribute value in the Subset Editor. You can also display element names in TM1® dialog boxes using their aliases.